A mattress topper is a crucial part of an effective bedding set. It provides the necessary level of support and comfort for your mattress and can be tailored to meet your needs and preferences.
Before you decide to buy a mattress topper, you’ll need to make a few considerations.
Mattress Topper Definition
A mattress topper is an accessory that is placed on top of a mattress in order to provide the necessary level of support. Along with that, it can also provide style choices for your bedroom décor.
- Provides a perfect level of support to a mattress
- Can be customized to fit the needs and preferences of its users
- Provides additional comfort level when it comes to sleeping on a cot or when traveling with a suitcase
- Can be quite expensive compared to other methods of sleeping enhancement
- Users may find the product uncomfortable due to the level of support it provides or the material used
Types of Mattress Topper
There are various mattress topper types that you can look into. Some of these are listed below:
1. Shredded foam mattress topper
A popular choice, this type is made out of shredded foam that serves as an excellent source of support. This material is soft and durable, which makes it ideal for travelers or elderly people with poor health.
2. Wool mattress topper
It is perfect for individuals with allergies since there are no dust particulates in its construction materials. It can also help keep your mattress in good shape.
3. Waterproof mattress topper
This type is ideal for individuals who need extra protection against liquids.
4. Gel mattress topper
The softness and elasticity of this type make them very popular choices among mattress toppers. Gel mattress toppers are designed for comfort, even for those who suffer from back pain or muscle pains.
5. Memory foam mattress toppers
A memory foam mattress topper is the most popular choice for a mattress topper due to its outstanding orthopedic characteristics which can alleviate pressure points on your body due to it being conformed precisely around your body’s specific shape.
6. Latex toppers
It is popular among those who suffer from allergies, as it can prevent dust and other irritants from entering the mattress area.
It is also considered a great material for those who have respiratory problems.
7. Feather mattress topper
This type is perfect for individuals looking for a luxurious option. The natural fibers of this material make it very soft and comfortable to the touch.
On a side note, some people may be allergic to certain material used in a mattress topper.
It is advisable that you first do a test of the product on an inconspicuous part of your body before using it on your entire body or purchasing it.
8. Egg crate mattress topper
It is one of the most popular options due to its cost-friendly price. Despite this, it offers a sufficient level of support and comfort.
9. Synthetic mattress topper
Perfect for those who need a cheap solution, synthetic mattress toppers are easy to clean and maintain. They also do not absorb heat and make it easier for you to sleep in hot climates.
- Twin mattress topper price: £30 – £80
- Double mattress topper price: £50 -£130
- King size mattress topper price: £70 – £200
Mattress Pad vs Mattress Topper
I. The main difference between a mattress pad and a mattress topper is the number of comfort layers each product has.
A mattress topper usually has two or three layers, while a mattress pad is usually one layer. So if you want more comfort, the best choice will be to go for thicker memory foam toppers.
II. Another difference with regards to layers is in their thickness. For example, an ordinary normal size queen-sized mattress will usually require that the topmost surface of its material measures between three and four inches in thickness.
It is important to note that two or more comfort layers are required for the general comfort of the average person’s body.
III. Another way in which a mattress pad differs from a mattress topper is in its function. A mattress pad generally does not provide much cushioning but it is made to be comfortable by acting as a barrier between your body and your mattress.
This can be very useful if your bed gets wet or you want it used by someone else because it will prevent your bed from getting dirty.
Do You Need a Mattress Pad or Topper? – Tips
Additional comfort layers in a mattress topper can be very useful for individuals who have sensitive skin or who have been diagnosed with allergies.
Making a Choice Between a Mattress Pad and Topper
While choosing between a mattress pad and a mattress topper, you’ll need to consider several factors.
- Quality and affordability online – In order to choose between a mattress pad and a mattress topper, the first thing you should consider is the quality of the material used. Meanwhile, a good mattress topper will have several layers made from a premium material that can be customized to fit your personal preferences and needs.
- The price for both types also varies greatly depending on the quality of the material being used. A top-quality product that comes from an expensive brand will usually cost more than one that is manufactured by a lesser-known brand.
- Type and sizes of mattress- Choosing the kind of mattress you want to use your pad or topper with is also an important factor to consider. A mattress pad that is designed for use with a memory foam mattress, for example, won’t be useful if you’re using it on a different kind of mattress. On the other hand, a common kind of mattress topper can be used even on an airbed.
- Amount of support needed- If you are purchasing a mattress pad or a mattress topper, you’ll need to consider the support needed by your body.
On the other hand, those individuals who experience back or muscle pains should opt for one that has layers that are thin enough so that they won’t cause discomfort.
How does a mattress topper help?
- Provides you with additional comfort since they are thin enough to give you an extra layer of protection without making your bed too hot or too cold.
- Boosts the quality of sleep you’ll get since it will make your bed more comfortable for sleeping.
- Acts as an option if you need to share your bed with others. You can adjust the hardness or softness of your mattress by choosing between firm, medium and soft options on the type of memory foam used in its topmost layer.
- Gets you the right amount of warmth when they are made from a type of material with a high insulation value.
Why you should avoid using mattress toppers?
1) They are less durable compared to mattress pads, making them less flexible in terms of changing your bed.
2) They may make your bed cold since they only provide an additional layer between your body and the mattress.
3) You need to make sure that the kind chosen is thick enough because you could end up sleeping cold if it is too thin.
4) If put on top of another kind of nonmemory foam, it may not provide adequate support for your body.
5) Mattress toppers need to be washed frequently depending on how often you change your bedsheets.
6) Buying a thin type of mattress topper may make it less durable and more prone to wear and tear.
How to care for mattresses
They are very soft and need to be cleaned using a soft brush.
- Use mild soap without ammonia to clean them. Never use anti-bacterial products in your washing machine.
- Fill your washer with cold water and add mild detergent based on the instructions in the instructions of the specific product you have purchased. Do not use hot water or any kind of bleach because it may damage its properties.
- Use air drying in order to avoid damaging it further when it heats up during drying. Let your sheets lay flat before putting them out on the line so that any creases are relaxed when they are dry.
- If you want to wash your mattress, place it on a flat surface and place a towel over it. Smooth the sheets and dry them using a dryer.
Use your mattress as often as possible and wash it regularly to prevent its quality and lifespan from decreasing and any odors from getting worse.
How to Clean a Mattress Topper?
It’s not a good idea to wash a mattress topper in a washing machine, especially memory foam types. Only spot-clean them using a damp rag and mild detergent if needed.
If it’s not possible for you to clean your mattress topper immediately after getting it dirty, then you should try placing it inside an airtight plastic bag before storing it somewhere dry and cool for several days until you get around washing it properly.
Other Accessoires Needed
- A blanket or comforter is needed to layer on top of the mattress topper.
- Pillows are needed to provide extra comfort since they can act as an extra cushion for your head and shoulders.
- A mattress pad can be used underneath the mattress or your bed frame to protect it from spills or stains.
- If you want to use one of these products under your bed, use a sheet protector because it will prevent anything from staining your sheets.
All these things will essentially extend the life of your mattress topper.
Q. Do I need a mattress protector?
A. A mattress protector is also known as a mattress encasement and is mostly used with a memory foam kind of mattress topper. It protects your mattress from spills, stains, and even dust mites, which can infest your bed if not treated properly.
Mattress protectors are made from cotton or polyester and are hypoallergenic. Choose one that has been zipped up on all four sides or is completely waterproof for easier cleaning.
Q. How long does a mattress pad last?
A. Since they are made from a durable material, a high-quality mattress topper will last about the same time as the mattress it is meant to be used with. However, a low-quality product may end up failing sooner than expected since it is not made from durable material and gradually loses its integrity.
It’s best to go for one of the premium brands when buying one of these products to ensure you get good value for your money.
Q. Is a mattress topper good for me if I have back pain?
A. Mattress toppers can provide additional comfort and stability for individuals who experience back pains but only if they are thick enough to provide proper support for them. If you want to be sure of the quality of a mattress topper, check its thickness first.
Q. How do I know that a product is non-toxic?
A. When purchasing a mattress topper, select a brand that has a certification from a non-profit organization such as Organic Materials Review Institute or CertiPUR-US.
This way, you’ll have the assurance that your mattress topper is free from chemicals and will not emit harmful fumes or particles once you start using a mattress topper.
In some cases, the name brand may have some information listed about the materials used in their products.
Q. What about a sleeping position?
A. The back sleeper should use a mattress topper that is thick enough to provide support for their spine and back, especially if it is too soft.
The side sleeper should get a mattress topper that is thick enough. This way, side sleepers do not sink in the bed once their body weight is applied because it may cause pain and discomfort.
The stomach sleeper should place a waterproof cover over the mattress topper since they will sweat more than the other body types and need to be protected from bacteria and germs.
Q. What is the ideal thickness of a mattress topper?
A. An ideal mattress topper should be 1-3 inches thick. A mattress pad is usually 2-3 inches while mattress wraps are 3 inches or more in their thickness.
There is a great deal of information available online explaining how to choose between a mattress pad and a mattress topper or any other type of bedding accessories or sheets.
Just make sure that you read up on the reviews, rankings, and ratings given by a person who has experienced them so that you can avoid making any mistakes in your purchase of the best mattress topper.